Saturday, April 9, 2011

What do you value??



Gentlemen,  I wish to take a moment to talk to you about what you value, what you hold near and dear, what you think is important…

Matt 6:19-21 (NIV) -  “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also”

So, What do you treasure.. Let me be first to say I love my life… I’ve been blessed to have three children, an modest yet comfortable home, My career is going well as is my personal life.

However, what I value, what I treasure… is my relationship with GOD first. I spend a great deal of time humbling myself to the lord thanking him for his blessings and for keeping me with a roof over my head, food in my pantry, and clothing on my back… I treasure the lives of my children and those I love as well as those who love me…. I made a commitment some time back to take one weekend a month to focus on what I value as being sacred, the anomaly is that it's so valuable that it's priceless..

I appreciate friends, but I know that friends are flighty.. and that everyone in your circle isn’t necessarily considering your best interest.. I keep a very tight circle of friends, those I can rely on and those who can rely on me… I’m somewhat unique in that I actually either know or have met 90% of my facebook friends.

What I also value is my time… I'm quick to tell my friends and enemies alike "don't wear your watch around me, because I take time". If I value you, I will carve out time for you and not rush through to the next thing...… Conversely I loathe having my time wasted. As a business person and an entrepreneur, I realize that time is a commodity. I’m not giving away anything, nor am I a non profit… I don’t do things very often on “the hook up”… Time is my most precious commodity because I understand the value of time… Culture club said in a song “time wont give me time… and time makes lovers feel, like they got something real… but you and me both know they’ve got nothing but time!!!!”…. That is the point… we’ve got really nothing but time… so don’t waste mine..

I value quality.. some say I can be a little bourgeoisie, but I work hard and I believe that one should enjoy the fruits of their labor. This weekend I had the opportunity to spend some time at Chateau Elan Winery and Resort in North GA.


It was certainly an experience and I had a great time… The staff at the hotel from the time you walk in is ready to cater to your every need. I typically frequent the spa to get a deep tissue massage.. this is therapeutic for my body and it helps to work out the kinks in my shoulder following a motorcycle accident in 2008…

The meals are typically very good, I’ve eaten at the Versailles Restaurant, and Café Elan. The entire experience is top notch top to bottom..

I value quiet time, a good book on Sunday afternoon, the NY Times or Atlanta Constitution, an afternoon Baseball game… That quiet time helps me to restore my mind, refresh my spirit , and dig into my intellect. I do a great deal of reading and it has become very much a passion for me..  Quiet time for me believe it or not is also found in jumping on my motorcycle and burning up 2 or 3 tanks of gas… Riding is a freedom, a release… some play golf.. some bowl… some play tennis… I ride…. Sometimes at speed limit… other times at 100 plus miles per hour…. But riding is freedom….

Gentlemen, while this is my story.. I really want to encourage you to take time to assess what you value.. Place God first, then your family…. Then take time to prioritize what you think is valuable.. Give it adequate time to mature, then nurture it so that your family and your God will get a more whole you…

As men we have competing pressures vying for our time and attention… But if you don’t take the time to relax, release and refresh… what good are you to anyone…. Find what you value… and pursue that…

Special thank you to the staff at Chateau Elan Winery & Resort for a wonderful weekend...


Visit them at http://www.chateauelan.com

Namaste… Peace….
Editor - DNYC

No comments:

Post a Comment